Urban Sadhu Yoga™ is a method of applying ancient yogic wisdom in a contemporary context. The Urban Sadhu Yoga™ Method is a modern, integrated Yoga method that incorporates many unique aspects of a traditional Yoga sadhana (practice) for the contemporary urban spiritual seeker. The method draws from the ancient yogic wisdom of India – Raja Yoga, Tantra Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Nada Yoga, Jappa Yoga, and Bhakti Yoga – but does not exclude spiritual teachings from other cultures. Spiritual activism is a key component within the Urban Sadhu Method.
While Raja Yoga, also known as Ashtanga Yoga (Eight Limbs of Yoga), does not acknowledge Kundalini shakti, both Tantra Yoga (ritualization through a daily yoga practice) and Hatha Yoga (yoga asana) do. Urban Sadhu Yoga™ utilizes the latter two in order to reach the ultimate goal of Raja Yoga, which is samadhi or union. To help guide the practitioner to the goal of union with the Higher Self, the Urban Sadhu Yoga Method is supported by six pillars, SADHANA, AHIMSA, SVADYAYA, DHYANA, AIKYAM, and DHARMA.
Yoga should bring about harmony within, and that harmony should be expanded externally into the world around us. Yoga makes us better humans, more loving, insightful, grateful, and compassionate toward others. These attributes are useless unless expressed in the outside world around us. Urban Sadhu Yoga™ expresses yoga in the world through spiritual activism focused on key issues such as veganism, environmentalism, and social justice for all beings. ™
SSV3.16 asanasthah sukham hrade nimajjati
Meaning: By practicing yoga asana, the yogi is easily immersed into deeper spiritual waters.
– Translation & Interpretation by Austin Sanderson
SSV3.26 śarıravrittir vratam
Meaning:Maintenance of the body and mind is a Holy Practice. – Translation by Austin Sanderson
– Translation & interpretation by Austin Sanderson
The Shiva Sutras are a collection of seventy-seven aphorisms that form the foundation of the tradition of spiritual mysticism known as Kashmir Shaivism, an extreme non-dualistic school of yoga philosophy that believes that everything is a manifestation of the Lord Shiva. The Shiva Sutras are attributed to Sage Vasugupta, who lived in the 9th century C.E.; like the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali and the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpikā of Svātmārāma, the Shiva Sutras are designed as a spiritual guide to attaining liberation or enlightenment via direct realization of one’s own true nature and the inherent oneness that is our essence.
The Shiva Sutras are divided into three sections, which correspond to the three upayas in Kashmir Shaivism. The Sanskrit upayas is translated as “means” or “ways.”
We are very excited to bring several new class types to Urban Sadhu.
• Tri-Guna Yoga Class – In the Tri-Guna class the class is divided into three equal sections, giving equal time to the three energetics. 25 minutes vigorous Vinyasa Yoga, 25 minutes healing Yin Yoga, and 25 minutes pranayama and meditation with a final result of total yogic bliss.
• Yoga Nidra (yoga sleep) – Yoga Nidra is a form of Pratyahara (sensory withdrawal), where awareness is slowly drawn from the external world, the body, its functions, the mind, its thoughts and feelings, allowing us to connect to the deeper unconscious inner peace.
• Pranayama Meditation – A new class beginning with breath work that allows us to enter a state of deep meditation with ease.
• Fundamentals & Foundational Vinyasa – Great for those starting or those who want to review the core elements of a yoga practice.
For more info please see the updated schedule.
We are also pleased to offer an archive of online classes where you can practice at your own convenience at usyogalive.com . Pricing is $35 per month for unlimited classes. You can cancel at any time..